Mini chocolate chip hot cross buns
Chocolate chip hot cross buns
These Mini Chocolate chip hot cross buns are just the right size for little hands and are a great option if the kids that don’t like the spiced flavour in hot cross buns.
A bit of a twist on traditional Easter buns these fresh homemade hot cross buns are filled with melted chocolate.
Mini Chocolate Chip Hot Cross Buns
- 1 cup warm milk
- 3 teaspoon yeast
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 50 grams Butter
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa
- 4 tablespoons water
- ⅛ cup sugar
- ⅛ cup water
- Place milk, sugar and yeast into a bowl. Stir and leave to activate for 5-10 minutes
- Add egg and butter to yeast mix and stir.
- Add flour, salt, cinnamon, mixed spice to the yeast mix.
- Mix to form a ball.
- Transfer dough onto your bench and knead for 8 minutes, then add chocolate chip and knead for another 2 minutes until smooth, you may need to add another ¼ cup of flour a little at a time if your dough gets to stick when kneading.
- Place in bowl and cover and let rest for 1½ hours or until doubled in size.
- Once dough has risen place on a floured surface and divide dough into 32 even pieces and roll into smooth balls
- Line a baking tray with a silicon mat or baking paper and place buns close together on tray.
- Cover and let rise for 30 minutes
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°c / 350°F fan bake
- In a small bowl mix flour, cocoa and water together until smooth. Place the mix in a piping bag or bottle, and gently squeeze a cross on the top of each buns.
- Cook for 15 -20 minutes at 180°c / 350°F
- In a microwave safe bowl place sugar and water and heat on high in the microwave until mix comes to a boil about 2 minutes.
- Once buns come out of the oven, brush on sugar glaze straight away while the buns are still hot.
- Serve warm with melted butter
This recipe work fine if you rest the buns in the fridge overnight.
Once your dough has rested for 1½ hours and you have shaped your dough into ball cover well and place in the fridge overnight, then in the morning bring to room temperature, add the cross to the top and cook in a pre-heated oven.
Then enjoy mini chocolate chip hot cross buns for breakfast or morning tea.
In a small bowl mix flour, cocoa and water together until smooth. If you can’t get out all the flour lumps you may need to put the mix through a sieve.
Place the mix in a piping bag or bottle, as this make it easier to put the cross on the top of the buns.
Once the buns have risen for the 30 minutes pip on the crosses and place buns in a pre-heated 180.c oven for 15-20 minutes
In a microwave safe bowl place equal amounts of sugar and water and heat on high in the microwave until mix comes to a boil.
I used ⅛ cup of sugar and ⅛ cup of water and heated on high in the microwave for 2 minutes. You can also do this in a small pot on the cooktop.
Once buns come out of the oven brush on sugar glaze straight away while the buns are still hot.
Then try to wait a few minutes for them to cool a bit before smothering them in butter
Using a stand mixer
This dough work just as great made with a stand mixer and it takes away some of the hard work.
Attach dough hook to your mixer.
Place milk, sugar and yeast in your mixing bowl and leave to activate for 5-10 minutes then add the rest of the ingredient apart from the chocolate chips, mix for about 8 minutes. Add chocolate chips and mix for another 30 seconds.
Cover your bowl with a tea towel or cling wrap and leave to rise in a warm spot for 1 ½ hours or until it has doubled in size.
Once dough has risen place on a floured surface and divide dough into 32 even balls.
Line a baking tray with a silicon mat or baking paper and place buns close together on tray.
Cover bun and let rise for another 30 minutes before cooking.
This dough also works great in the bread machine.
Place all your dough ingredient into your bread machine apart from the Chocolate chip and set to dough setting. If you are not using instant raise yeast you will need to activate the yeast first.
When the dough cycle has finished flour your work surface and remove dough from bread machine. Mix in your chocolate chip and then divide dough into 32 even balls.
I wait until the dough cycle has finishes before adding the chocolate chips as I don’t want the warmth of the bread machine to melt the chocolate chips.
Line a baking tray with a silicon mat or baking paper and place buns close together.
Cover bun and let rise for another 30minutes before cooking.
If you enjoyed this recipe check out my
Some other recipe you might like